Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Kicky Punchie

Hey everyone!  Dallin here.  Katie wanted to do a post about me starting at the studio (which means you probably would have gotten it earlier than you are), but I wanted to write it, so here it is!  I started at Omega Martial Arts in Salem, Utah on the last day of June.  I'm testing for my white-yellow belt tomorrow, so we might post some pictures once that's done.  Here's a few pictures from my third day:


This stance is called "Jhoon-Be", which is basically the "stand at attention" stance when you're not doing anything.


This is the fighting stance, although I have since learned that my fists are not in the right position in this picture.  I also shouldn't be leaning back.  Hey, I'm still learning.


Another one of me.

If you look closely, you can see I have one stripe on my belt, which is for basics.  For each belt, you have to pass off basics, self defense, sport combinations (which is basically several moves put together), forms, and sparring.  Then you have to get a sixth pre-testing stripe, which basically means that you're ready to test.  I got that today.

I didn't realize at first how taxing Taekwondo would be on my body.  It's based primarily on kicking, and I never realized kicking took it out of you that quickly.  For the first few days, I would throw maybe ten kicks and then be out of breath.  Luckily I've gotten a lot more stamina and I can usually handle things okay now.  My flexibility has also increased a lot, though I'm still struggling with the roundhouse kick and side kick that I need to do for my next belt.  All in good time.

I'm going to be moving pretty quickly for the next couple weeks since we're trying to get me to a yellow belt by mid-August (three belts past where I am now).  We'll see how that goes.  Overall, I'm really enjoying it, and I'm glad I have something to help me get in shape (since I apparently can't do it myself).
file:///C:/Users/kbdressman/Downloads/googlee82271ab5db276a3%20(1).html

No comments:

Post a Comment